Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blisfully Hitched Year 2: A Tribute to the Bestest Husband in the Galaxy

Jowell and Cristina
UP Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
July 14, 2007


Exactly two years ago, I married the man who I prayed for. I know I don’t come across as someone who’s into regular bible-reading or attending church service on Sundays, but seriously, Jowell is God-given.

One day in 2003, my family and I we went to visit the Basilica Minore in Cagayan North, the home of the Miraculous Our Lady of Piat. We just went there to make pasyal and enjoy the scenery. When we got in the church, Mama instructed us to say a prayer and make wish as it’s our first time there. Superstition or not, I did. I have nothing to lose naman and besides we are in a church and it is a place of prayer after all. Aside from the usual prayer of good health, I prayed to God to bless me with a partner whom I would grow with. I repeated the same prayer when we lit candles before going home.

It was a prayer and wish left forgotten for months until the day Jowell and I, the strangers, went out on our first date.

The Start of Something Beautiful
"Jowell was out with his family and relatives. They went sa Music21. Treat ng tita nya from the States who was here with her daughters for a visit. We were texting tapos he asked me to go out with him tomorrow to watch a movie. I agreed kasi we were friends’ naman, di ba? And besides, it is about time that the name and the voice had a face.We met at Starbucks at SM North. I got sa meeting place first. He was there at SM na pero I walked faster kasi he just had his foot operated. Wawa nga xa kasi he had a hard time walking. I saw him na while I was buying my all-time fave drink. I didn’t approach him. Dedma lng pro my heart was racing big time. Finally, he went na to my table. Beso-beso like old friends pero deep inside, I was so kilig. We stayed there muna then shot some hoops before we saw Charlie’s Angels. Before the movie, we weren’t holding hands yet. But, after that. Wow!!! I was on cloud nine. I was ecstatic. We played some video games after the movie. Grabbed a quick bite then walked around. Finally, it was time to go home. He wanted to make hatid, but I declined na. It was late and I know his foot hurt badly na. He walked me na lng sa hintayan ng cab. He waited for me to get a ride. Then, he kissed me. Sa lips. Quick lng. As in mwah. Pero maski na. Kiss pa din yun. I was surprised and happy. But, I didn’t let that kiss get into my head. I was thinking of it as more of a friendly kiss rather than romantic in nature. Nonetheless, that night ended well.I don’t know what got into his head and his heart and he asked me if he can court me. And I would be so darn stupid if I say no. Hello! I love him. But, I was really taken by surprise. I was not expecting it. I was hoping and wishing, but I didn’t know that it was coming that soon. But, what the heck, right. I’ve been waiting for this day.And, officially on July 15, 2003, we became a couple."

On July 14, 2007, after four years of being together, with God, our families, and friends as witnesses, we promised to be each other’s lawful spouse, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

It has been two years since I became Mrs. Jowell dela Cruz. It has not been easy. We were struggling financially. After the wedding, we had no savings left. We were surviving with my measly salary (as Jowell was still finishing his second course at that time) and occasional help from our parents. It was tough for someone who was so used to spending all sweldo for herself. It was a major adjustment on my part and I’m sure Jowell adjusted as much (if not more pa nga).

They usually credit the woman in the success of a relationship. But, in our relation, I humbly step back and give the credit to my husband. He’s been the anchor and foundation of our small family. Without his love, patience, and understanding, eh, baka wala pa kaming isang taon ay naghiwalay na kami. Jowell is every thing I have wished and prayed for. My husband is God’s gift to me. He’s the man who I would grow with.

Yaddy, my message for you is perfectly summarized by Shania Twain in her song “From This Moment On”:

You're the reason I believe in love
And you're the answer to my prayers from up above
All we need is just the two of us
My dreams came true because of you


Happy second wedding anniversary, Yaddy. iloveyou.

7 comments:

Vayie said...

Here's wishing you more years of happiness and togetherness!

JOANNA said...

congratulations! keep it up :)

tintintetay said...

@ vayie and joanna
thank you, ladies. :)

stacie twirL said...

how sweet..very touching one, tetay..this is such a very loving note for jowell..

khimphotz said...

May God continue to bless your marriage, Tetay!!! God Bless you MOre!!!Happy anniv sa inyong 2!

yUmi Aspene said...

More beautiful years and blessings for both of you!:P

tintintetay said...

@ cai, khim, and rache
tahnk you, girls. i wish you the same when it's your turn to tie the knot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP