Sunday, October 12, 2008

MiLo Meets World: Our Birthing Story

I was reading the birthing stories of my fellow n@wies when I decided to re-read my own birthing story at my old Friendster blog and relive the joys and pains of childbirth. To my horror and dismay, all my posts from October 2005 were deleted or moved or whatever after Friendster moved to a new platform. I panicked! I didn't have a copy of my birthing story elsewhere. I contacted their Customer Support and received a very unhelpful response. I appreciate my OCness at this time. My husband thinks my OCness is OA na at times, but I'm truly glad na I'm OC and OA. I found the old links myself - from October 2005 up to my most recent and last post there (in "cached" form nga lang). Thank God! Now, I think I ought to apply at Friendster's Customer Support team. They need me. Hahahaha.

Now on to my birthing story which I copied from Friendster blog (which I truly hate now) and pasted here (which I'm starting to like na). I've added some details na din along the way.
While our bundle of joy is sleeping and the lola and lola (aka my parents) are willingly and obligingly looking after him, I take the chance to sneak out and share with you our birthing story. It's overdue, but what the heck! But first, I'd like to thank everyone who remembered me on my very first Mother's Day celebration. It is well appreciated.

Now, our birthing story.

April 26, Saturday, around 4 PM
I went to visit my OB-gynist for my weekly check-up since I'm at week 37. As I've mentioned previously, she has advised me to take an earlier maternity leave as I can give birth as early as April 22. I tried to bargain with her, but she had her way in the end. After the usual check of weight, blood pressure, and baby's heartbeat, she IE'd (i.e. checked the opening of my cervix for dilation) me and immediately advised me to have myself admitted at the FEU hospital in Fairview at 8 PM. I was a little disappointed as I missed the drama of panicking if my water bag broke at an ungodly hour and sending my otherwise calm husband into a panic mode. I think I caught Jowell off guard, nonetheless. I was supposed to go to Malabon after my check-up to pick up the things I'll be bringing to the hospital, but it happened the other way around.

At 3 cms dilated, I even went to a nearby mall with my mom to pick some last minute stuff for MiLo. After an hour or so, we went home, had dinner, and got ready to go to the hospital.

April 26, Saturday, around 9PM
Walked my way to FEU's ER and filled out the necessary forms. At exactly 9:16 PM, I was officially admitted and was ready to give birth anytime.

April 26, Saturday, between 10PM – 11:59 PM
After some routine hospital procedures, I was finally wheeled to the Labor Room where I spent the longest 14 hours or so of my life. I was expecting to give birth anytime between midnight and early in the morning. However, my contractions were very weak and minimal and the dilation of my cervix was not progressing. I knew at that time, that I was not going to deliver MiLo at the time I expected.

I was more hungry and thirsty than bored. The JIs' who stayed with me were a happy bunch, but they kept on eating and mentioning food. They walked around the LR licking ice creams and munching what-have-yous. I was green with envy and was counting the seconds before I could get my teeth into a slice of pizza. I was even silently talking to MiLo asking him to descend faster so we could both relax and eat. That was my motivation – food!

My OB-gynist, Dr. Vessy Toy dropped by and checked on me. I was still not progressing and she encouraged me to rest as I'll be needing all the strength when it's time to push. Seriously, who could rest when every minute, someone was on my arm checking my blood pressure or injecting insulin or poking my finger to check my sugar level. I'm glad I was blessed with tons of happy hormones that I didn't mind the by-the-hour checking, poking, and injecting.

I remember that Jowell, my husband, dropped by also. He was only there for a few minutes. I wish he could stay longer or stay with me all throughout the labor and delivery. I was probably too exhausted to request the person in charge to make him stay at my bedside.

April 27, Sundaybetween 12 MN – 12NN
Dr. Toy went back at around 8AM to check on me again. My blood pressure was inconsistent, but they were able to manage my sugar level. My water bag has not broke and the dilation only progressed to additional 2 cms. The ideal opening of the cervix is 10 cms. I was getting bored and tired by the minute. My contractions were getting more frequent, but they were still weak. She had to manually “prick” my water bag to hasten the delivery in addition to the administration of oxytocin through IV line and nipple stimulation by the female JIs. These solicited contractions, but still not enough to bring me to the Delivery Room and have the camera ready.

Around 9 AM, I was prepared to have my anesthesia. Frankly, I was more scared of the epidural than the actual delivery as this was to be injected on my spine. What if the dosage was miscalculated and I end up “vegetable” for the rest of my life? Well, obviously, Dr. Palomar was a wiz. And, he was goodlooking, too. Hahaha.

April 27, Sunday, between 12:01 PM – 2:09 PM
The contractions were getting more frequent and more painful even with anesthesia. This was a signal that MiLo is already descending.

April 27, Sunday between 2:10 PM – 3:49 PM
I was injected my last shot of epidural and was strapped to an automatic sphygmomanometer. My sugar level was checked again and I was given another shot of insulin. I was numb, but I was fully aware of what was happening around me. The oxytocin IV was still administered and my nipples were still stimulated for contraction.

They instructed me to inhale, exhale, inhale again and hold my breath and push hard for ten seconds when I have a contraction. The first push failed.

Considering my size, I was told that I had a small birth canal and that the epidural was getting in the way of my pushing. I was not feeling any pain that I did not exert too much effort in pushing. Dr. Toy asked one of the OB residents to give me a fundal/fundic push/pressure, but she was too small that it also failed.

An hour after, my OB-gynist informed me that the baby can only stay on a certain position for only 2 hours and I've already consumed the first hour trying to push and successfully failing. If by 4:10 PM, I have not delivered, she had no other choice, but to do a C-section. I silently prayed and asked God for His assistance. I did not want a C-section.

I was now more determined to push harder, but harder was still not enough. Dr. Toy sought the assistance of another OB resident. On the first try, she gave a strong fundal/fundic push/pressure, but my own pushing was still weak. Looking at the clock, I was getting scared that a C-section was necessary.

April 27, Sunday, 3:50 PM
The second and last fundal/fundic push/pressure by the OB resident and my determination not to have a C-section was well rewarded when I have finally pushed MiLo out into the world.

MiLo's little “uha-uha” was enough to make me feel better. I am now a mother and come Father's Day on June 15, it's my turn to greet Jowell, a Happy Father's Day.


Post-partum (not the depression)
This is where Jowell, baby MiLo, and I thank the following:
  • Our Heavenly Father: for the safe and successful normal delivery in spite of the circumstances Our parents and MiLo's grandparents: for their undying love and support
  • Our siblings and MiLo's aunts and uncle: also for their love and support
  • Dr. Visitacion C. Vicente-Toy: our superwoman OB-gynist for patiently bearing with me when I was not pushing hard enough and for not resorting to C-section. I highly recommend her and you can contact her clinic at FEU Fairview at 9354122. Just mention that you were recommended by Cristina Corpuz-dela Cruz.
  • The rest of her team: for doing a job well done
  • Relatives and friends: for wishing us well

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP